Special Educational Needs

This page is designed to give you general information about the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) provision at St Nicholas Church of England Primary School and Nursery. There is a range of information that might help answer any questions you may have.



Our local authority also works really hard to support our families and children and the below link (click on the picture) will take you through to a range of information to support you and you family.

At St Nicholas, Miss Ellie Onur (SENCo) is responsible for making sure all the children receive appropriate support for any challenges that may impact their learning.  You can contact her on senco@stnicholas120.herts.sch.uk please be advised that this is a part time role. 

At St Nicholas, we want all of our children to feel that they are fully-included and valued members of our school community. However, we recognise that all children are unique individuals and endeavour to enable each child to achieve their full potential, whatever their ability or specific needs by providing equal opportunities for all within our school. We aim to achieve this through ‘Quality First Teaching’ and the removal of barriers to learning and participation.

 Our curriculum promotes the development of the whole child as a confident, creative and independent learner who will become responsible, caring and inspirational members of society.

 Through appropriate curricular provision, we respect and acknowledge that children:

  • have different educational and behavioural needs and aspirations;
  • require different strategies for learning and participation;
  • acquire, assimilate and communicate information at different rates;
  • need a range of different teaching approaches and experiences. 


The SEND Code of Practice (2014)

A new SEND Code of Practice came into force on 1st September 2014. It provides guidance for supporting children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. The law says that a child has special educational needs if he or she needs significant additional help, above and beyond that of the majority of others of the same age, to access their work. This help is known as Special Educational Needs Support (SEN Support).

 Many children at some time in their school career will need some additional support.   For most, this just means that they need a little help in a certain area to get back to the level we would expect. For others, this may last longer. All of the children have the right to a broad and balanced education.

Sometimes your child’s teacher may feel that your child needs a greater level of support in order to achieve to the best of their abilities. At this time, they will speak to you about the help they feel your child needs as well as ask for your thoughts and views. They may also speak to your child to gain their view. Once we have agreed the best way to support your child and plans have been put in place to support your child, they will be reviewed at least once a term.

Please don’t worry if you or your child’s teacher thinks your child may need extra support with something. There are lots of highly-skilled people in school and we will work with you to ensure you and your child are happy here.

Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

In some cases school may conclude that a child’s learning difficulties remain so substantial that they cannot be met effectively within the resources normally available to the school.

In these cases a request for statutory assessment will be made; the school, an outside agency or the parents can make a request. If you would like further information about statutory assessment leading towards an Education, Health and Care plan, please contact your child’s teacher or the Inclusion Leader (Ms Ellie Onur) directly.  This level of SEN no longer comes with extra funding.

External Agencies

As well as working with you to support your child, there are times when we may ask other agencies to come into school and help a child.  Some of the agencies we may use are:

  • The Leys: offer support in specific literacy or numeracy skills.
  • DPSL 2: offer support with social skills and behavioral needs.
  • School family worker: offers a range of support directly for children and their families.

If your child has a range of needs that require support from a variety of different people, we may suggest completing a CAF (Common Assessment Framework) to ensure that we can all work together to meet their needs. Following this, we will carry out regular TAC (Team Around the Child) or TAF (Team Around the Family) meeting to review progress, discuss support and set targets. 


If we identify that a child needs extra support in a particular area of the curriculum which is not covered in class, we will organise an intervention to help them.  These may include handwriting help or reading boosters a few times a week with a teacher or TA. 

If your child needs a considerable amount of help, we will inform you of our intention.


If you have any questions or queries about Special Educational Needs and Disabilities at any point during your child’s time at our school, please speak to your child’s class teacher or our Inclusion Leader.